A Not So Spooky Halloween Pumpkin Recipe
Seeing as it is Halloween I thought I would get in to the SPIRIT of things and cook up an autumnal pumpkin feast in my cauldron....but do not fear, there is no wart of toad in this recipe.
Cheshire Beer Braised Beef and Pumpkin Stew with Herb Dumplings
400g Beef - shin, stewing beef, casserole beef
1 Bottle of Beer
1 Stick of celery
1 White onion
1 Garlic clove
1 Beef stock cube
1 Medium sized pumpkin (or butternut squash)
2 tbsp olive oil
100 ml water
Salt and Pepper
To make the stew....
1. Pan fry the beef in the olive oil until brown and place in to a casserole/over proof dish
2. Add the onions, carrot, celery and garlic to the pan and saute for 2-3 mins before also adding the dish
3. Add the stock cube, bottle of beer and water to the casserole dish before seasoning.
4. Chop the pumpkin up in to 1" by 1" square chunks (roughly) and add to the dish.
5. Cook on a low heat (gas 3/160/140 - fan oven) and cook slowly for 3-4 hours.
To make the dumplings ...
1-2 tbsp water
1 tbsp Parsley
1 tsp English mustard
1 tsp sage
Salt and Pepper
Start making the dumplings 20 minutes before the stew is ready
1. Rub the flour, butter, mustard, herbs and seasoning together in a bowl
2. Before placing in the stew add enough water to make a firm but soft dough
3. Break the dough in to 12 pieces and roll them in to round dumplings.
4. Place them in the casserole dish, pushing them down under the liquid.
5. Cover and cook for a further 15-20 mins until they have risen
Serve the stew piping hot with scatterings of parsley on top.
#food #recipe #halloween #womensnutrition #nutrition #nutritionist #health #healthyeating #pumpkin #pumpkinrecipe